Monday, September 24, 2018

Milita's Memories

Milita on top of my desk next to her favorite bed. She is about three years old in this photo.

Hi everyone, it's the Mom today with another memory about Lita.

About a year after I moved to Denver, I moved out of the University's graduate housing into an apartment. 

A couple of days before I was going to move, I went to sleep with Lita as usual. I had left the window open a bit to let some fresh air in while we slept. The window had a screen, and I had never seen Lita scratch at it, so I didn't think anything of doing this.

The next morning, I couldn't find Lita - anywhere. I checked the window, and to my horror, it had been scratched open. 




I was distraught and heartbroken. I was freaking out! I was supposed to move in a couple of days and my precious best friend was missing! 

A couple of friends came over. We made Lost Cat posters to hang up around the neighborhood. I offered a reward for her safe return. 

We went around putting up the posters and calling for her, but we couldn't find her. My friends left, and I was so sad and upset. 

Around 5pm, I heard a cat meowing outside my bedroom window. I ran out to see if maybe, just maybe, it was Lita. 

IT WAS!! She was crying because she couldn't figure out how to get back in. I called for her and she came running to me. I scooped her up in my arms and cried with tears of joy. I told her, "Don't you ever do that again!!" 

Needless to say, I NEVER leave windows open now unless I can supervise. I won't even leave a window open unsupervised to go downstairs to switch my laundry from the washer to the dryer! I learned a valuable lesson that day. 

I am just overjoyed that Lita came back on her own, safe and sound. She wasn't injured in any way. It was one of the scariest things I have experienced as a cat "mom." 

Thankfully, as Lita got older, her interest in the outdoors diminished. She was quite content being indoors. :) 

10 comments:

  1. Oh that had to be so very scary, for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been scary! But at least Milita was smart enough to know to come home. Purrs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we lost Chucky for about 10 hours one Saturday, I learned A LOT about lost cats; especially that they are usually very close to home...just too afraid to move! Chuck had probably been in the neighbor's yard the whole time, while I mistakenly walked up and down the block. However, the joy at having one's cat back...safe and sound...is a feeling that is indescribable! And, The Hubby has nailed all of our screens in, which he will curse me for when he changes them all over to storm windows, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pipo & Minko did that together as kittens...a whole long night. At least it was in the summertime, and they did not wander too far, I found them under a bush. But they always tried to get outside, even after that! Doggy doors didn't help my cause, MOL!

    Pipo doesn't seem to interested in outdoor time anymore...phew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so scary! We're so glad Lita came back on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been so frightening! I am glad Lita came back and let you know she was there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary that must have been! Lita knew where home was, though, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a scary story! My human is so careful about open doors and window screens around here. She watches us carefully and does frequent head counts. I call it paranoid... she calls it cautious. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sierra I can relate!! Not too long after I'd adopted Nylablue one of the neighbor cats ran into my place...Mr Peepers ran under the bed & NB went after him. I opened the door to let him out & NB sailed right past me; up the 4 stairs to the patio.....I hollered "NYLABLUE STOP!" I stopped breathing....well she DID stop & I picked her up & brought her inside. I was so lucky she liked me enough to listen to the command.... Regarding screens when we got the new bedroom window I had 'animal friendly ' screening done on the screens. It was $60. for 2 windows & it was well worth it! P SH never broke thru the screen!
    I bet Milita's getting out brought her closer to you. Stuff like that makes a BIG impression on cats!
    (((hugs))) Sherri-Ellen & **purrsss** BellaDharma

    ReplyDelete