Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Broken Girls Book Review

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James book cover.
About the Book: In 1950, Idlewild Hall is a place for unwanted girls - the illegitimate, the troublemakers, and the too-smart-for-their-own-good.  It's rumored that the boarding school is haunted.  Four roommates develop a deep friendship, sharing their deepest secrets and fears.  Then, one of the girls mysteriously disappears...

Vermont 2014: As much as she tries, journalist, Fiona Sheridan, can't stop thinking about the events that surrounded her older sister, Deb's, death.  Deb's body was discovered 20 years ago in the field at Idlewild Hall.  Deb's boyfriend was tried and convicted of the murder, but Fiona has always felt that something wasn't quite right about the case. 

When Fiona finds out that Idlewild Hall is being restored, she chooses to write a story about it.  A shocking discovery during the renovation process links her sister's death to secrets in the past. 

My Thoughts: This book flips between 1950 and 2014 and is told from several characters' points of view.  I initially thought that the time changes and different points of view would make the book confusing, but it was very easy to follow.

Fiona's boyfriend, Jamie, thinks it's unhealthy that Fiona has such a hard time letting her sister's death go, but in my opinion, he comes off as a real jerk.  Fiona has clearly never gotten the closure she needs to move on.

I loved the chapters from the Idlewild Hall girls, and I wish there had been more chapters from their perspectives.  The bond the four roommates build with one another is truly heartwarming, and I loved watching it develop.  The author does an incredible job of linking the past to the present. 

I don't want to spoil the book, which is why I'm not giving a lot of details.  This book had me from the very first page, and that rarely happens for me.  I am also considering reading this book a second time someday, and that is incredibly rare, as I find there are so many good books to read with not enough time to read them in! 

If you like mysteries, I highly recommend reading The Broken Girls by Simone St. James. 

FTC Disclosure: I received a copy of "The Broken Girls," by Simone St. James for a fair and honest review.  Receiving the book did not influence my opinions in any way.  All opinions shared on Fur Everywhere are my own. 

3 comments: