Friday, March 2, 2018

Noelle (A Dog Named Christmas #3) Book Review

I know this is a Christmas story, but if you ask me, it's a wonderful book to read at any time of the year.

About the Book: Mary Ann McCray is determined to shake things up in Crossing Trails by becoming the first woman Santa Claus (Mrs. Claus). 

The McCrays' close friends, the Robinsons, decide it's time to get a divorce.  Link's struggle with alcohol has torn the family apart.  The Robinsons' two children, Keenan and Emily, struggle to make sense of it all. 

Then, there's Mary Ann and George McCray's son, Todd.  He's recently moved back to town to be with his girlfriend and to start a new job at the animal shelter.  Todd has a passion for training dogs to become service dogs.  His current, "student," Elle, is a challenge, but Todd refuses to give up on training her.

Todd fears that he's disappointed his parents with some of his recent decisions, but he also wants to be independent and make his own choices.




My Thoughts: This book had me right from the beginning.  The unconventional idea of Mrs. Claus coming to town instead of Santa Claus, piqued my interest. 

I loved how the book is written from the perspectives of the different characters.  I felt like I got to know each of them.  I felt for Link as he struggled with his alcohol addiction.  I got caught up in he excitement as Mary Ann toured around as Mrs. Claus.  And I felt Todd's nervousness as he agonized over the possibility that his choices would disappoint his parents. 

My only, "complaint," is that, in my opinion, Link's struggle with alcoholism was oversimplified.  As someone who used to work in the field of mental health, I know that addiction is much more complicated than what is portrayed in this book.  However, I do understand that for the sake of the story that the issue needed to be simplified. 

All in all, this book was really sweet and heartwarming.  I just love how the McCrays help their friends and how the community pulled together in a time of need. 

I would highly recommend this book! 

FTC Disclosure: I received a copy of Noelle (A Dog Named Christmas #3) by Greg Kencaid for a fair and honest review.  Receiving the book did not influence my opinions in any way.  All opinions expressed on Fur Everywhere are my own.  

8 comments:

  1. That sounds good and Noelle sounds like a Christmas sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a wonderful book! We're going to tell Mommy we want her to read it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review, it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! Nothing wrong with a little Christmas magic in March. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stories are best read often and at any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete