Saturday, January 9, 2016
Pet Blogger Challenge 2016
Today I'm participating in the Pet Blogger Challenge!
1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone who is visiting for the first time, please give a quick description of the subject of your blog.
I've been blogging for nine years now (since December 2006)! My blog is about cats. Carmine and Milita share their life experiences every week on this blog. Additionally, I write informational articles for cat owners on health and behavior topics. I also do product and book reviews on this blog. I really love writing this blog, and I've loved making new cat and human friends along the way!
2. What is the one thing that you accomplished during 2015, either on your blog or because of it, that made you most proud?
I had several opportunities to work with amazing brands and authors in 2015. I met some really fantastic people through this blog last year, and I look forward to meeting even more friends this year.
3. Which of your blog posts was your favorite this year and why? (Please include a link.)
That's a really difficult question. My favorite posts to write in general are the Opt to Adopt posts, which I do every Tuesday, because they allow me to help homeless kitties find loving forever homes.
Here is one of my favorite informational posts from 2015: Eight Ways to Get Your Cat to Drink More Water.
4. A common theme from last year’s challenge was that many of us wanted to increase the size of our audiences. Whether or not we intend to monetize our blogs, it seems we’d all like to reach more people. It feels good to know that we’re connecting with others, sharing a laugh or supporting a cause, and it’s motivating to see those numbers grow! What is one thing you’ve done in the past year that has brought more traffic to your blog?
I made a real effort in 2015 to tell cat people I met in person about my cat blog. I'm introverted and shy around new people, so telling people about my blog is definitely stepping outside my comfort zone.
5. Which of your blog posts got the most traffic this year? Why do you think it was so popular? (Please include a link.)
I need to learn how to use/read Google Analytics more. I'm not sure which post in particular was most popular, but in general, Mancat Monday and Milita's Monday posts tend to be the most popular ones.
6. What is one blog that you read religiously – other than your own – and what makes you such a devoted reader? (Please include a link.)
I read a lot of blogs religiously - there are SO many great one out there! I will highlight two of them here, though.
Brian's Home - I read this one religiously because I love all the kitties' personalities. Brian and his family do so much to help homeless kitties and cats in need. I consider the whole family wonderful friends of ours.
The Island Cats - I just adore Wally, Ernie, and Zoey's personalities!
7. What resources do you rely on to enhance your technical, writing, photography, social media, or other skills that improve your blog?
I subscribe to several newsletters to learn the latest on social media trends. I read ProBlogger articles for tips on growing my blog and social media networks as well. CopyBlogger is also a fantastic resource.
8. What is the best piece of advice you can offer other bloggers?
I think my best piece of advice would be to make your pet blog unique. There are a lot of pet blogs on the Internet already. Personally, I try to mix entertaining and informative posts on my blog. What can you do to make your blog stand out?
9. What is your vision for your blog in 2016? Do you have specific goals?
I want to continue to post entertaining and informative posts and to work with brands and authors. I want to learn more about photo editing. I'd love to help more homeless cats find forever homes this year as well.
10. You have the attention of the pet blogging community – is there one blogging challenge you’d like help with, or one aspect of your blog that you’d like input on?
I would love to know where I can learn more about photo editing. As a woman with a severe vision problem, I find photo editing quite a challenge, and I am always working to make my photos better. Tutorials that are mostly verbal (and don't rely on a lot of being able to see what's going on) are best for me. Along the same lines, I'd love to know how to create blog badges for birthdays, Gotcha Days, etc.
I would also love to know where I can find the best health/medical information and studies on cats. I like to read about feline veterinary practice, medical conditions, and the latest in research.