Thursday, June 4, 2015

Jewel's Journey: Hug Your Cat Day


It's June, and we've finally had a few hot days here in Colorado.  My apartment's central air conditioning doesn't do much to cool things off.  Pretty much everyone above the third floor in this building roasts in the summer here.  

In the past couple of days, I was reminded how hot it used to be in Jewel's former owner's house, too.  I always felt bad for her in the summer when it was hot.  I also felt bad for her in the winter as the heating in that house didn't work well.  While Jewel had a nice fur coat, she was a senior cat, and I worried that the house was too cold for her in winter.  

One day when visiting Jewel (before I moved in as a housemate), I brought my electric blanket over, knowing how cold I got in the house.  Before I knew it, I had Jewel curled up right by me on the warm blanket.  She absolutely loved it!  Since my apartment at the time was always hot, even in winter, I decided to leave my blanket with Jewel.  Jewel's former owner often told me during that winter that he would turn the blanket on, and Jewel would curl up happily on it to hang out and have cat naps.  I was glad I could provide her with some happiness. :)


In other news, today is Hug Your Cat Day!

Jewel was never very fond of being held or getting hugs, but I gave them to her anyway.  I think it's important for us to show our cats that we love them everyday.  Be sure to give your kitty a little hug today - and everyday - so she knows you love her.


21 comments:

  1. Sometimes we think mum gives us too many kisses!
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It rarely gets hot here, so the kitty heating pads run all year round! Cats love them anytime of year, especially the seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy HYC day! Cat hugging is always a struggle here MOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a terrific post about sweet Jewel. Happy hugging everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna say that is a totally endearing picture of you and Jewel! Aw...in reference to your comment "hug your cat today," my challenge is to STOP hugging them because they are too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kitty would not love an electric blanket? You were so good to Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. guys.... total lee awesum fotoz oh yur mom & sister jewel ♥♥♥♥

    we R knot a bout hugs here for sure, less we iz huggin de perch on R platez ~~~ ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet Jewel associated that blanket with you and knew you would be together one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, what a sweet, precious story.,

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was thoughtful to leave the electric blanket for Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice of you to give Jewel your blanket. That's a sweet pic of you and her hugging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You loved Jewel so much, and so WELL. :)

    Hope you're having a hug-filled Hug Your Cat Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dog-guy has a heaed bed...but its in the back porch, else we wluld overtake it! And while the peeps do have those warming blankets, we may not indulge of them on acclunt of we are niot allowed n the bedroom here...sigh...maybe e=we need to cheer them on to buy us our own heating units:)

    What a precious picture and memory of Jewel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An electric blanket sounds pawesome! I think Delilah would love that. The photo of you hugging Jewel is very sweet - what a precious memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And never in your wildest dreams at that time did you imagine Jewel would one day be yours to love and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderfur story. Dad makes sure to give us lovin every single day, and we give it right back to him.
    We are going to get a nice heated bed this fall fur Buddy Budd as he will be pushing 15. Not that you would know it when he whacks Toby MOL
    Timmy

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a sweet photo. And it was so sweet of you to give Jewel the heated blanket, I am sure she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a sweet story about the electric blanket! We loev those things, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely pic and sweet story!

    I'm always hugging and kissing Athena. Luckily, she loves it.

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete