ASPA's list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
Easter Lily: All species of "true" lilies, including the Easter Lily, are incredibly dangerous for cats. A cat who ingests any part of the Easter Lily may experience: vomiting, lack of appetite, decreased or excessive thirst and urination, dehydration, acute kidney failure, and possible death. According to the Pet Health Network, even ingesting a few Easter Lily petals or leaves, licking the pollen of its fur or paw, or drinking an Easter Lily's water from its vase can cause acute kidney failure in cats.
Other "true" lilies include: Asiatic, Tiger, Day, Japanese show, Stargazer, Wood, Red, Western, and Rubrum lilies. Due to the severe consequences of "true" lily toxicity, I would highly recommend not bringing any of these flowers to a home where cats reside.
Azalea: Azalea is another Spring-time flower that is toxic to cats. Kitties who ingest Azalea may experience: excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, weakness, central nervous system depression, coma, cardiac collapse, and possibly death.
Daffodil: Daffodils are beautiful flowers, but they are also dangerous for our companions. Ingestion of Daffodils in small amounts may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. Ingested in large quantities, cats may experience: low blood pressure, convulsions, tremors, and arrhythmias.
complete list of non-toxic plants to cats. Even though these plants are not toxic to cats, I recommend not allowing your kitty to eat them. Keep plants and flowers out of your cat's reach when you are not around to supervise him.
If you believe your cat has ingested a toxic plant, please call your veterinarian or local animal hospital. You can also call the ASPCA Poison Control at: 888-426-4435. The ASPCA Poison Control charges a $65 consultation fee for their services.
Plastic Easter Grass: Although plastic Easter grass makes Easter baskets look pretty, it is dangerous for your cat. Most cats have a difficult time resisting eating stringy things, like Easter grass, ribbon, yarn, and tinsel. When ingested, Easter grass can cause an abdominal or intestinal obstruction, which requires surgical removal.
If you believe your companion has ingested a foreign body, please call your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately. Do NOT try to pull out any visible string, ribbon, etc. from your cat's body. Doing this can cause serious damage to your cat's organs.
Initial signs that your cat has ingested a foreign body include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, straining to have a bowel movement, and abdominal pain. According to VCA Animal Hospitals, your cat may also exhibit behavior changes, such as hissing or growling when you touch his stomach or pick him up. He may also paw at his mouth or face if string, Easter grass, or ribbon got wrapped around the base of his tongue.
Safe Alternative: Instead of using Easter grass in children's baskets, cover the bottom of the basket with green fabric. It's also best to keep Easter baskets out of your kitty's reach so that he isn't tempted to eat its contents.
Chocolate: Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are part of a group of chemicals called methylxanthines. The compounds found in chocolate stimulate the cat's nervous system and heart.
ASPCA, in general, the darker the chocolate is, the more toxic it is. For instance, white chocolate contains the fewest methylxanthines and is the least toxic while dark baker's chocolate contains many more methylxanthines and is therefore much more toxic. The symptoms your cat experiences after ingesting chocolate will depend on how much and what type of chocolate she ate. Signs of chocolate toxicity can range from abdominal pain, vomiting, restlessness, and increased thirst to muscle tremors, high body temperature, irregular heart rhythms, severe agitation, seizures, and possible death. If you think your companion has ingested chocolate, please call your veterinarian or animal hospital.
Xylitol: Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many candies, some baked goods, gum, and toothpaste. According to WebMD, xylitol may lead your cat's body to produce more insulin, which will result in a drop in your kitty's blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Liver failure may also occur after your companion ingests xylitol. Initial signs that your cat has eaten xylitol include: vomiting, loss of coordination, and lethargy. Seizures may also occur, and liver failure may show up within a few days of xylitol ingestion.
Easter is a joyous time that certainly calls for celebration. Using these tips will help you keep your cat safe during the holiday.
What are your Easter plans? How will you keep your cat safe during the holiday?
Pet Health Network: Easter Lily Poisoning in Cats.
ASPCA: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants.
VCA Animal Hospitals: Ingestion of Foreign Bodies in Cats.
ASPCA: Foods That Are Hazardous to Cats.
WebMD: Slideshow: Foods Your Cat Should Never Eat.