Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Foods Toxic to Cats - Part 1

Veterinarians always encourage pet owners not to feet their cats food from the table. This is partly because a lot of the food we consume is toxic to cats. These are some known foods that are toxic to felines and how your kitty may react if he or she ingests them. Please do not use this list as a complete list of toxic foods to your pet.

Apples, apricots, peaches, cherries and plums: If your kitty ingests apples, crab apples, apricots, peaches, cherries, or plums, he or she may experience panting, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, and/or panting.

Avocado: The fruit, seeds, bark, and leaves of avocados are all likely toxic to pets. If your pet ingests any part of an avocado, he or she may vomit and/or have diarrhea.

Garlic and leeks: Garlic and leeks can cause serious symptoms if ingested by your cat. These include: the breakdown of red blood cells (which may result in Heinz body anemia or hemolytic anemia), vomiting, panting, a high heart rate, blood in the urine, and/or weakness.

Corn plant and cornstalk plant: Corn plant and cornstalk plant are both toxic to kitties as well. If your pet ingests these planets, he or she may experience vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, depression, excessive salivation and/or dilated pupils.

Fig: If ingested, your pet may salivate, vomit, or experience irritation in his or her mouth. If your pet's skin comes in contact with fig, he or she may develop dermatitis.

Chamomile: Chamomile can cause contact dermatitis where your cat's skin came in contact with the plant. If your feline ingests chamomile, he or she may experience an allergic reaction, loss of appetite, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

Coffee: Coffee can increase a cat's heart and respiratory rates, can affect the central nervous system, and cause restlessness.

Grapefruit, lemon, and lime: Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and possible photosensitivity are the clinical signs you may notice if your kitty has ingested grapefruit, lemon, or lime.

Grapes: diarrhea, lack of appetite, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, lethargy, and kidney damage may all occur as a result of your kitty ingesting grapes.

If you believe your cat has been in contact with or has ingested a toxic food or plant, please call your veterinarian, local veterinary/animal hospital, or the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 right away. It is important to note that a $65 fee may be charged to your credit card for utilizing the ASPCA's National Animal Poison Control Center.


  1. Always good to keep a list like that handy. Since my Nahum loves greens (anything green and leafy) I keep a list of toxic plants handy and consult it frequently.

  2. What a great list...and a reminder about such dangers. Some of these are things I hadn't thought about.

    Thank you for stopping by Kittens 'n Things yesterday. Love your comment about how Milita will hide her eye medication!

  3. Thanks so much for this helpful list. I have to be careful not to drop any raisins on the floor. That could be very dangerous.