Thursday, July 2, 2015

Jewel's Journey

When Jewel's chronic renal failure advanced to the point where she needed subcutaneous fluids on a regular basis, I was terrified.  Some of you might remember me asking all kinds of questions and doubting my ability to give her the fluids die to my severe vision impairment (as in, I have to have something less than an inch from my face to see it).  I think my vet and her office staff also had their concerns about how this was going to work.  But I did research, asked questions, and determined I was going to find a way to give Jewel her fluids because that's what a loving and caring kitty mom does!

It took a bit of trial-and-error, but I persisted, and I figured out a way to give Jewel subcutaneous fluids that worked for us.

In the beginning, Jewel wanted nothing to do with the whole ordeal!  She'd try to run off during the administration, and it was hard for me because I felt guilty about sticking her with that huge needle!  I actually accidentally stuck myself with her needle the first time I gave her the fluids on my own, and wow, did that hurt!!  I always imagined that when I stuck her with the needle, she was cussing me out as she'd let out a loud, "RAOW!!!" every time I had to stick her.  I wouldn't blame her one bit if she was saying HBO words at me.

Though I hated sticking her with that huge needle, I had to put my own feelings of guilt aside to help my little angel.  Though giving her the fluids was tough, I knew it helped her live longer and have a better quality of life while she was here.

Over time, Jewel laid on the floor and allowed me to give her the subcutaneous fluids without much fuss.  I think she knew that they were good for her.  She also knew that when we were done, she'd get treats - her favorite thing!  Sometimes she'd get so excited about the treats that she'd try to run off before I was done holding her little hole shut so she wouldn't leak her fluids.  We developed a nice routine that worked for both of us, and I think she appreciated all the care she was given.

18 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job helping Jewel when she needed it.

    Minko doesn't always like when Meowmy has to feed him, and he spits out food or shakes his head to spatter it evfurrywhere, MOL! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was brave! I only had to do it a few times with Maisie but it filled me with dread, too! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a little girl we had a cat with CRF and my dad gave him sub-q fluids. I was so thankful it didn't fall on my shoulders. Then Tara became diabetic and I had to learn how to give her insulin shots...never in a million years thought I would be able to do such a thing, but it was really no issue at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My human was so impressed that you learned how to give sub-q fluids! That's not easy, even for someone with good vision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so good of you and Jewel knew and she did appreciate all you did for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, she totally understood your love and the need to help her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes these things are just necessary. You do it because you love your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Still remember how scary it was the first time I had to do that. But maybe I was a little less scared because I give myself injections every day. I was lucky Suki was a lap kitty, and we had little bonding times and treats after. She was very patient, and usually purred. Cats understand when you love them and are trying to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jewel trusted you and knew you were helping her. You did a wonderful job of caring for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it's any consolation hubby is a sub-q pro and he still stabs himself sometimes. It's wonderful what you did for Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jewel was lucky to have a mom that loved her as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jewel was lucky to have a mom that loved her as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jewel was lucky to have a mom that loved her as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sure Jewel knew you were trying to help her, she was very intelligent- and cute too.

    ReplyDelete